Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Argus Leader paper and website

Maybe it's just because my family has had an Argus Leader subscription for as long as I can remember, but I like their paper better than their website. The paper seems laid out in a nice, orderly fashion. I've always been impressed to the length they go to to cover a regional story. This is especially evident in the sports section. Now I don't care about SDSU sports and USD sports because I don't care about Division 1AA. However, there are many who do, and the Argus Leader recognizes this and prominently features them. They do the same for minor league teams such as the Stampede, Canaries, and the Skyforce.

If you don't appreciate the lengths the Argus Leader goes for the local sports teams, just take a look at the Omaha World-Herald's sports section during baseball season. Omaha has the Triple-A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals. Triple-A baseball is just one step below the majors. What page does that land them on? Page 6, behind the Nebraska Cornhuskers football team, who are in the offseason. In short, the Argus Leader knows where its priorities lie.

About the one major criticism I have with the Argus Leader is the Life section being in tabloid form. Here, the layout prevents the section from flowing easily from one story to the next. Also, their ads take up too much space in that section. Perhaps they concentrate the ads in that section to allow the other sections to have more space for news.

As for their website, it is basic. In most cases, I prefer basic. However, this feels too basic. The site is designed that only one story in each subsection gets a picture and a preview. The one picture aspect is fine and ideal. I wish there was a one sentence preview for every story. If not every story, then maybe the top 3.

All in all, I like the Argus Leader. They know who their audience is and they usually provide an objective viewpoint.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Dan. It's the little paper that could, isn't it? Actually, it might be interesting to do a little project on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops--posted on the wrong story! I like this one, too. I think it's interesting, your comments on the role of the minor league team and how the paper treats it.

    ReplyDelete